The latest IPCC report is clear. Unless we take action right now, the world will crack 1.5 degrees of warming within 10 years, causing unimaginable harm. The report notes that to avert disaster we must stop any new coal or gas.
But Labor and the Liberals have voted together to give public money to multinational fossil fuel corporations, to fund expansion of coal and gas mining in Australia. Their commitment to ‘net-zero by 2050’ is a meaningless target that kicks the can down the road when we need action now.
We’re being held back by a political system captured by corporate interests. Labor and the Liberals have pocketed $8.2 million in donations from fossil fuel corporations over the last 10 years. In return, they’ve voted to give the industry $6.4 billion in public money.
The Greens have a plan to reduce carbon emissions by 75% by 2030, and 100% by 2035, with a massive investment in publicly-owned renewable energy, manufacturing, public transport and reforestation that will create a million jobs. We can fight back against fossil-fuel corporations, and retake control of our planet’s future.
The Greens will:
- Transition to 100% renewables in 10 years
- Stop all new coal and gas and phase out fossil fuels
- Reduce Australia’s emissions by 100% by 2035
- Create a $12 billion Manufacturing Australia Fund to kickstart a domestic manufacturing sector in electric cars, batteries, solar panels, wind turbines and green steel
- Invest in a job-for-job program for workers in the fossil fuel industry, guaranteeing workers an equivalent job with decent pay in another industry