Healthcare in Australia is expensive. Out of pocket expenses are rising and our public hospitals are increasingly underfunded. Medicare doesn’t cover many important procedures and tests and treats dental as a luxury only a few people can afford. One in three Australians skip seeing the dentist because of cost. Medicare shouldn’t stop at your mouth.
The Greens will:
- Bring dental into Medicare to ensure everyone can see a dentist for free
- Eliminate out of pocket expenses for life-saving diagnostics like x-rays and MRI scans
- Invest $4.7 billion over the decade into Medicare to guarantee a bulk-billing doctor in every community
- Scrap the private health insurance rebate and redirect this $6.5 billion into public healthcare
- Clear public hospital waiting lists for all elective surgeries in the next two years